Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Biscuits, Grits, and Gravy - Where the Waitress Calls You Baby


So, I’ve been living in North Carolina for about three months now, and I absolutely love it.  When I think about how some things are just different down here, this is what I came up with:
  • I now know the difference between “y’all  and all ya’ll” and use them without even realizing it.
  • I now “cut on” and “cut off” the lights, heat, air conditioning etc.  Things no longer get turned off or on.
  • I also “collect up” papers, books, homework etc. rather than just “collecting” them.
  • Helicopters flying overhead are no longer noticed.
  • The boys will wear cowboy boots with anything – including basketball shorts.
  • Everyone thinks I’m insane because I’ve never had colored greens…I’m still trying to figure out exactly why people eat these?
  • People put the letter “R” into words that clearly don’t need them (i.e. “How ya dur’in?” for “How are you doing?”)
  • Pop doesn’t exist – it is soda, and no one knows what in God’s name you are talking about if you say pop.
  • College basketball reigns supreme
  • What is unsweetened tea?
  • Anyone that does anything stupid is automatically assumed to be a “damn Northerner.”
  • Biscuits are every day all day…
  • It’s always “yes/no , ma’am/sir”
  • No matter where you go, there’s a good chance you’ll get called “baby” or “shug”….sometimes five times in less than a minute.
  • The boys and anyone younger will always hold the door for you – hello chivalry – gotta say I love it!
  • I realized that instead of saying, “what,” my students say, “ma’am?”
  • The 1st and 15th of the month are hell because it’s military payday – steer clear of Wal Mart (I learned the hard way).
  • The girls down here are a thousand times nicer.
  • People don’t shake hands, but instead give hugs…I’ve had some awkward introductions because of this…
  • I’m told a Southern mamma don’t leave her baby every time I say that I left home all alone and moved down here.
  • “Bless your heart,” isn’t always as sweet as it sounds…
  • Finding anything other than a Baptist church is like finding a needle in a Haystack….and Lord knows, everybody goes to church every Sunday.
  • Southern accents are contagious.
  • I think they only believe in white bread down here….and that’s only if they are out of biscuits!
  • Students will skip school for Bojangles, the beach, and hunting.

I’m sure as soon as I post this, I will think of more, but each one of these puts a smile on my face, and I couldn't help but sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment